91. Six Causes of Muscle Cramps. Ouch!
In the middle of the night you suddenly get muscle cramps. Ouch, that hurts so much!!! Rubbing, stretching and putting pressure on it; you do all kinds of things to get rid of the pain as quickly as possible. It is a particularly cruel phenomenon! And the following day, the cramp can just suddenly return.
I wonder what the body is trying to tell us. Are the muscles worn down? Is there some kind of waste material in them? Are they overworked or do they have a shortage of nutrients? The body is so amazingly clever, why does it “make” cramps? It seems that there are a number of possible answers.
Various causes for muscle cramps
- Vitamin deficiency: You don’t get outside enough, causing a vitamin D deficiency. Because of the vitamin deficiency, your body can’t absorb enough calcium from your food, causing a shortage of not only calcium but also of magnesium for your muscles. Result: during or after exertion, you can suddenly get a cramp! (Step 5: ‘Supplement all shortages’ deals with this.)
- Decision-making cramp: You have to make a decision. Maybe not consciously, but your life is about to take a turn you’re not comfortable with. Subconsciously, it creates fear. “How will I do that?” The kidney meridian becomes disturbed when you feel fear. The kidney meridian begins underneath both feet, in the middle of your forefoot. If you are fearful, you can get cramps in your foot or in both feet. If you are anxious, you’ll get a cramp in your calf, where the bladder meridian runs. (Step 4: ‘Clear meridians’ deals with this.)
- Stress from excessive thinking: Your work causes you too much stress with a lot of hard thinking and not getting enough exercise. Your muscles are constantly getting the signals “Fight!” and “Flight!”. The electricity in your muscles has become overactive. You don’t give your muscles the opportunity to work it out because you just go on and on and on. The nerve cells in your muscles are under high tension and are continually sending signals. Your muscles contract too much and too often with no release anymore. If this goes on for too long, it will result in cramps, especially during the night when you are finally relaxing. (Step 3: ‘Detach father. Detach mother.’ deals with this. In your family, you encountered situations you weren’t ready for as a child. This creates a feeling of “Flight”. With step 3, you remove this from your system and you become stronger, are more able to relax.)
- Acidification: You drink alcohol after exercise and not water. Because of this your body can’t dispose of the acids that developed during exercise. (Step 1: ‘Optimize acidity’ deals with this. Water removes acidity from your body. Alcohol raises the body’s acidic level.)
- Salt shortage: You have a shortage of salt. If you, for example, have sweated a lot, exercised or have hot flashes, eat a little extra salt. The MIR-Method can increase your need for salty foods such as bouillon or salted nuts. (Step 5: ‘Supplement all shortages’ is the cause of this.)
- Medicines: You use diuretics for water retention problems and because you know that you retain fluids, started drinking less. This creates a vicious circle. Your muscles communicate to you via cramps that you don’t have enough fluids in your body. (Step 6: ‘Balance hormone system’ deals with this. This step helps you to regulate your feeling of thirst. If you’re thirsty, drink water!)
And how about you? Have you also noticed that you don’t get cramps anymore because of doing the MIR-Method? I’d love to hear about it! Please write your answer below. Thank you!
By using the “End” key on your keyboard you can go straight to the form. Personal questions should always be asked of a MIR-Method coach!
My wish for you is that you and your muscles wonderfully relax!
P.S. You would do me a big favor by posting this article to your Facebook page or forwarding it via e-mail, Twitter or Linked-In! Use the icons on the left-hand side! Thank you!
P.S. Are you not yet familiar with the MIR-Method? Please go to the homepage: www.mirmethod.com You can watch the video there and also the instruction video. Register on the homepage to receive the newsletter and 6 weeks of coaching e-mails for extra support!
Great coverage of this important topic, However, there is a potential problem for many, that even though they spend plenty of time outdoors, their bodies may not have the ability to make vitamin D from the sun. I am over coming a long term deficit because of this. I’ve also learned that this happens to many people, partially because of an unexpected reaction to some childhood vaccines.